Re: This is bad, was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Mo, 28.09.20 10:28, Paul Wouters (paul@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> This is better thant it was five years ago. I'm glad some things were
> at least successfully conveyed in the Brno meeting. However, this still
> leaks queries meant for the LAN or VPN onto the wide internet and is

Classic resolv.conf cannot communicate to us where what should be
routed. There's no per-domain syntax.

People have different usecases when they have multiple interfaces with
multiple sets of DNS data around. We cannot guess which one of the two
ifaces is the one to trust without explicit help.

Thing is: your LAN connection might be your trusted home network, or
some untrusted cafe wifi. your VPN connection might be your trusted
home VPN or the VPN to your company where you'd rather not send all
DNS traffic. resolved cannot possibly guess what the trust level of
ifaces and their DNS servers is, and if we'd priorize one clearly over
the other we are likely getting it wrong: if we send all DNS traffic
exclusively to the VPN then you lose resolveability of your local LAN
names, such as the router or print config UI. If we send all DNS
traffic exclusively to the local router's DHCP lease configured DNS
server you'd of course lose the ability to resolve company private
names.

So what did we opt to do? We think that working DNS is better than
non-working DNS: so in absence of any further config info we'll look
up names on all interfaces and use the first positive or the last
negative answer. This behaviour doesn't bother too much with the
security issue, i.e. everyting outside the local laptop is consider
equally trusted or untrusted. But it maximizes the chance that things
just work. And that's a inherently a *good* thing, the thing i care
about the most.

Now, of coruse it would be better to only send to the VPN what really
needs to be sent to the VPN, and conversely send to the local
DHCP-supplied DNS only what shall be sent there. For that we need
routing info. We'll synthesize some from search domains, if they are
configured, but beyond that we require you to configure them manually.

explicitly now, and if you don't you at least have the biggest chance
that things "just work".

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin