Re: F34 Change proposal: Debug Info Standardization (from DWZ to -fdebug-types-section) (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 11:59:44AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DebugInfoStandardization
>
> == Summary ==
> Fedora 18 implemented [[Features/DwarfCompressor]]. As the format did
> not get widespread and the tool is not much maintained it became
> burden to make existing debugging tools compatible with Fedora debug
> info.

I'd like to state that there is no agreement about this in the toolchain
team, Jan had probably problems getting his DWZ support upstreamed into LLDB
and decided to spend his time instead non-constructively trying to kill DWZ.

-fdebug-types-section in GCC is pretty much unmaintained, almost nobody is
really using it, and the debug types design is quite flawed and shouldn't
have been added into DWARF.  What DWZ implements is what DWARF3 and onwards
have been documenting as DWARF compression technique, before DWARF5 for the
multi-file it has been using an extension but that is now standardized in
DWARF5.
Mark is actively working on DWARF5 support for dwz right now, and
furthermore what -fdebug-types-section does is not the same thing in
principle as what DWZ does.  DWZ primarily just removes redundancies, when
the DIEs are the same, and doesn't really matter what kind of DIEs it is,
while -fdebug-types-section is about types only, and does significantly
change what the debug info contains and how it can be referenced.
Furthermore, while DWZ currently does not support -fdebug-types-section, it
isn't principally incompatible with it, just I didn't want to waste time on
something I saw as broken by design.  DWZ in theory could handle what
-fdebug-types-section produces and undo the significant size overhead it
adds due to the large references (basically could undo the type units and
turn them back into normal .debug_info).

So, from my side, strong objection against this proposal.

	Jakub