Re: F34 Change proposal: Debug Info Standardization (from DWZ to -fdebug-types-section) (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 1:13 PM Peter Pentchev <roam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 01:01:17PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 12:00 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DebugInfoStandardization
> > >
> > > == Summary ==
> > > Fedora 18 implemented [[Features/DwarfCompressor]]. As the format did
> > > not get widespread and the tool is not much maintained it became
> > > burden to make existing debugging tools compatible with Fedora debug
> > > info.
> > >
> > > == Owner ==
> > > * Name: [[User:jankratochvil| Jan Kratochvil ]]
> > > * Email: jan.kratochvil@xxxxxxxxxx
> > >

> > > == Detailed Description ==
> > >
> > > Debug info files *.debug contained in *-debuginfo.rpm are very big in
> > > general (x86_64 Fedora 32 distribution has debug/ directory of 82GB
> > > while all its other files are only 75GB). There exist several methods
> > > how to make the *-debuginfo.rpms at least a bit smaller. Fedora 18
> > > started using DWZ tool (from [[Features/DwarfCompressor]]) while
> > > [https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2008-August/246281.html
> > > Google implemented] the same goal in a different way called
> > > -fdebug-types-section.
> > >
> > > Almost nobody uses existing Fedora DWZ (only Fedora/CentOS/RHEL and
> > > SuSE OSes) and so its support is missing in tools like
> > > [https://lldb.llvm.org/ LLDB],
> > > [[llvm-dwarfdumphttps://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/llvm-dwarfdump.html|llvm-dwarfdump]]
> > > or binutils readelf. -fdebug-types-section is used internally by
> > > Google (produced by clang). Debian does not store any debug info
> > > archives. Ubuntu uses neither -fdebug-types-section nor DWZ.
> > >

> > This is not true. Debian started producing -dbgsym packages and
> > putting them in a separate repository years ago:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages
> >
> > dwz is used by virtually all RPM based distributions now, including
> > OpenMandriva (a clang-based distro). I know this because I implemented
> > it. :)
> >
> > I do not know whether Debian has started using dwz by default because
> > I haven't dug into how the -dbgsym package generation works in detail.
>
> Most of the packages that use recent versions of debhelper (the tool
> that automates many steps of the Debian packaging) have run dwz for
> the past couple of years. I do not have any statistics though.

Then that certainly means that Ubuntu uses this too, since they reuse
the dbgsym subpackage generation for the ddeb system they have now.

So it sounds like the underlying premise of this whole Change is
flawed, since everyone has been using dwz without telling the
dwz developers. :)