Re: F34 Change proposal: Debug Info Standardization (from DWZ to -fdebug-types-section) (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 12:00 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DebugInfoStandardization
>
> == Summary ==
> Fedora 18 implemented [[Features/DwarfCompressor]]. As the format did
> not get widespread and the tool is not much maintained it became
> burden to make existing debugging tools compatible with Fedora debug
> info.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:jankratochvil| Jan Kratochvil ]]
> * Email: jan.kratochvil@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
>
> Debug info files *.debug contained in *-debuginfo.rpm are very big in
> general (x86_64 Fedora 32 distribution has debug/ directory of 82GB
> while all its other files are only 75GB). There exist several methods
> how to make the *-debuginfo.rpms at least a bit smaller. Fedora 18
> started using DWZ tool (from [[Features/DwarfCompressor]]) while
> [https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2008-August/246281.html
> Google implemented] the same goal in a different way called
> -fdebug-types-section.
>
> Almost nobody uses existing Fedora DWZ (only Fedora/CentOS/RHEL and
> SuSE OSes) and so its support is missing in tools like
> [https://lldb.llvm.org/ LLDB],
> [[llvm-dwarfdumphttps://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/llvm-dwarfdump.html|llvm-dwarfdump]]
> or binutils readelf. -fdebug-types-section is used internally by
> Google (produced by clang). Debian does not store any debug info
> archives. Ubuntu uses neither -fdebug-types-section nor DWZ.

This is not true. Debian started producing -dbgsym packages and
putting them in a separate repository years ago:
https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages

dwz is used by virtually all RPM based distributions now, including
OpenMandriva (a clang-based distro). I know this because I implemented
it. :)

I do not know whether Debian has started using dwz by default because
I haven't dug into how the -dbgsym package generation works in detail.