Re: btrfs and ERC defaults

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:07 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does Btrfs have any mechanism to help manage ERC settings in the drives
> or is there any desire for Fedora to help users do this?

File systems have nothing do with SCT ERC or the SCSI command timer.
There's no mechanism at all.

> I've typically used rc.local to check the settings on drives used in md
> or btrfs arrays, e.g.

Or udev rule.

Part of the blame goes to drive vendors for producing drives that can
take upwards of *minutes* of thinking to decide whether or not your
data can be returned. But then particularly pernicious is the kernel's
default 30 second command timer where it just assumes a non-response
requires a link reset, thereby obliterating all state information for
the drive in question.

Over on linux-raid@ list, these mismatch comes up all the time. It
prevents normal raid repair function from working, whether mdadm, LVM,
or Btrfs (and presumably ZFS on Linux but I'm not certain) and
eventually will result in loss of the array, for the typical mortal
user.

For desktop users, the mismatch is perhaps a non-factor because which
is better? Early loss of a sector resulting in I/O error? Or an
increasingly slow system as the sole warning sign of bad sectors
accumulating until it results in the loss of multiple sectors? It's
just not great either way.

Meanwhile some of these behaviors have changed as SSD's have become
more common. You're more likely to get transient bit flips as the
early warning sign, and then either all zeros or garbage instead of
your data. If you're lucky, the drive itself goes read-only (different
than the file system reporting the fs has gone read only) leaving your
data readable.

--
Chris Murphy