Re: Shouldn't we have process for removing zombie packages?

Dne 18. 09. 20 v 12:37 Petr Pisar napsal(a):
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:42:00AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
This is not about nagging maintainer for the purpose of nagging them.

Filing the requests en mass is exactly nagging for nagging.

This might be misunderstanding, but I have never proposed filling request en mass. I have proposed to have process to remove package when somebody is in doubt it provides any value.

 But

I feel exhausted seeing again and again packages which are very likely
broken,
if the package is broken, then file a bug. That's a completely different
case.

serving no purpose.
That's a strong assertion. I hope that you know that a non-existance is not
getting proved by claiming "I think there is none". But again, if you don't
like the package, file a bug with the explanation why you think it should be
removed.

I feel exhausted seeing that these packages pull in dependency chains which
are not possible to be updated or removed due to them.

If you need to update the dendency, then update the dependency and report
a bug against the then broken package. See openssl package for an example.

All I want to say that these issues should be handled case by case. There
should be a reason for each of them and the bug report should be tailored to
that case.

I agree with that and proposing that once the bug is filled, there should be a way for the reporter to finish the job what the reporting of bug starts. So your worries are not justified.

Vít

But pushing the work of a responsible bug report from the reporter
to the assignee is wrong.

-- Petr