Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

> If you actually tried to use the memory it says in MemAvailable, you
> may very well already get bad side effects as the kernel needs to
> reclaim memory used for other purposes (file caches, mmap'ed
> executables, heap, …). Depending on the workload, this may already
> cause the system to start thrashing.

memavaild[1] is yet another tool to improve responsiveness during heavy swapping. How it works: slices are swapped out when MemAvailable is low by reducing memory.max (values change dynamically). Effects: performance increases in tasks that requires heavy swapping, especially in io-bound tasks. At the same time, tasks are performed at less io and memory pressure. It may be used out of the box with any DE.

With combination of prelockd and memavaild GUI remains responsive with high memory and io pressure (pressure=85[2] with system and swap on HDD, I taked screenshot, GUI was not freezed). This proves that high memory pressure (by PSI) does not always correspond to system hang (psi-monitor uses mem pressure=10 as a thigger, for example).

[1] https://github.com/hakavlad/memavaild
[2] https://ibb.co/hKGy0bZ