Re: F33 / Rawhide user heads up: did a recent update pull in a bunch of packages you don't really want?

> Just figured a heads-up here might help people. If you recently
> updated
> your system and got a whole bunch (~90, depending on how many were
> already installed) of packages pulled in by...something - including
> scala, vtk and a bunch of other odd things - I can tell you why: it
> was
> caused by a change to gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free . Its opencv
> support
> was enabled, but that gives it a dep on opencv-core, and opencv-core
> pulls in all that other stuff.
>
> We have now rebuilt gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free without opencv
> support
> again for Rawhide and F33, and edited the F33 update:
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-ac045d6620
> if you update to gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-1.18.0-2 , you should be
> able to get rid of all that stuff again. Just removing the opencv
> packages may trigger dnf to remove all the others as unneeded deps,
> or
> one of the dnf cleanup commands may get rid of it for you, or you can
> figure the list out from the dnf history.

Hi, as you wrote and I agree "I suppose we could also look into whether
opencv-core actually needs all those deps, or if it could be split up a
bit"

I think we can do gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-opencv sub-package
and opencv maybe should have one vtk sub-package. I guess vtk needs a
lot of packages. vtk is a package that takes more than 8 hours to
compile on koji ...

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.