Re: F34 Change proposal: Remove support for SELinux runtime disable (System-Wide Change)

Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> James Cassell wrote:
>> Ben Cotton wrote:
>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_Support_For_SELinux_Runtime_Disable
>>>
>>> == Summary ==
>>> Remove support for SELinux runtime disable so that the LSM hooks can
>>> be hardened via read-only-after-initialization protections.
>>>
>>> Migrate users to using ''selinux=0'' if they want to disable SELinux.
>>
>> I like the proposal. A few thoughts and questions, though:
>>
>> 1. I think systems with SELINUX=disabled without selinux=0 should
>> hard fail very loudly.
>
> That's an interesting opinion... It would be easier and more direct to
> do it that way, but we are worried that users would complain that
> their SELINUX=disabled setup is suddenly broken and they need to mess
> with the bootloader to get a working system again. (I don't know that
> much about real-time systems, so feel free to correct/enlighten me
> here.) That's why we try to make sure that things keep working
> more-or-less the same as before.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but *aren't* those systems broken?  That
is, if an admin sets selinux=disabled on a system after this change has
(hypothetically) gone through, won't they have a system in which selinux
isn't disabled?  Or is there going to be migration logic in perpetuity?

Thanks,
--Robbie