Re: Release criteria proposal: networking requirements

On Wed, 2020-08-26 at 01:14 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:51 PM Michel Alexandre Salim
> <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Also, should we add WireGuard to this list for future-proofing?
>
> I had thought about explicitly suggesting
> wireguard, but then thought that we should
> focus on what is currently being used, and
> while *I* use wireguard, it is still not really
> a common use case.
>
> We do, of course, need to remember to
> regularly review all the criteria to make
> sure that they still make sense in the current
> environment and be willing to delete some
> things from the list when only a few still
> have such equipment or use the functionality.
>
> I would almost suggest any addition
> should come with a criteria deletion,
> to bound the work for the QA team,
> who are, after all, a limited resource.

I **AM** THE QA TEAM

well, okay, not all of it. :P But yeah, I get the intention of that
idea, but it wouldn't really work out. We do just need to add things
sometimes. This is really about covering stuff that we would have
wanted to block on anyway (and sometimes have, by stretching other
criteria) but just hadn't ever written into the criteria.

We do drop things sometimes and make other adjustments like how we
stopped requiring such extensive testing of physical media and
restricted the desktop criteria a bit, a couple of releases back. But
making it a strict one in/one out probably wouldn't be practical.

Also note that ensuring the products meets these criteria is meant to
be a collaborative effort; the teams who build the products are
supposed to share that responsibility with the QA team, including doing
some of the actual testing.

I agree on the WireGuard front - that's what I meant by saying "It
doesn't really make sense to add things to the release criteria for
future proofing." The criteria should reflect *current* importance.
Unless use of WireGuard is in the same ballpark as OpenVPN or Cisco
etc. we probably wouldn't want to include it right now.

I *do* wonder if any of the other VPN plugins I see listed at
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/VPN but didn't include
in the criterion are candidates. Does anyone have stats / practical
knowledge of the relative popularity of all those?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey