Questions about the 'request-branch' experience

I was recently asked to provide an EPEL8 version of one of my packages
(python-keyring) in a bugzilla, so I did:
fedpkg request-branch epel8

This opened up two pagure tickets, one each for two branches:
epel8
epel8-playground

After the branches were created, an extra commit was added to the
epel8 branch to create a package.cfg file (with a log message that had
extra double-quotes around it, for some reason).

I have several questions:

1. Why did my request for a single branch automatically result in two
separate tickets for two separate branches?
2. What is this '-playground' branch for?
3. Why was an extra commit added to the empty branch that was requested?
4. What is a package.cfg file? Do I need it?
5. (unimportant, but curious) How did the extra quotes get in the
commit message that added the package.cfg file?

I'm particularly concerned about item 3 and 4, because if the file
must be present in epel8 and absent in master/f33/f32, then the
presence of the file seems like it will prevent me from doing
fast-forward merges to keep the same HEAD commit for all actively
maintained branches, which I like to do to make maintenance across
branches easier (using conditionals in the spec file, if necessary).

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I could not easily
find concise answers to these questions pertaining to the overall
`fedpkg request-branch` experience..

Thanks,
Christopher