Re: EarlyOOM +ZRAM Only

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 12:28 PM Sergio Belkin <sebelk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
> I 've just had a problem using EarlyOOM + ZRAM. I haven't a disk-based swap partition.
> I was using mainly Zoom (desktop app) + Firefox + VirtualBox (Debian with 4GB of RAM), and EarlyOOM killed Zoom in the middle of a call :(

Hi,

Could you open a bug report against earlyoom, and attach 'journalctl
-b -o short-monotonic > bugID-journal.txt'

It's not necessary to trim it. But if you do, keep about 5-10 minutes
prior to the first SIGTERM.

I think what's happened is earlyoom issues multiple SIGTERM, which are
ignored or delayed in actually terminating by the processes with the
most badness. And it just so happens that the zoom process badness
reacted to the terminate request despite having an order magnitude
lower badness.

Off hand I'd say earlyoom probably should only SIGTERM the top 3
offenders, possibly with some delay in between each one. And then once
we're below the kill watermark, issue SIGKILL to the top offender
again.

The difficulty is that's a VM, in this case. We might need an
oom_score_adj for qemu and virtualbox, because I think it's a bad idea
to kill off running VM's.

--
Chris Murphy