dummy libraries for proprietary dependencies (especially NVIDIA)

Is there the possibility of building packages with dummy shims for
proprietary dynamic libraries that could be substituted at runtime
(i.e. a package BRs dummy-libthing-devel, and dynamic linker paths
provide the nasty real libthing at runtime)?  Obviously there are
potential technical and legal issues involved.  I'm interested in
packages which are useful without the proprietary bits (such as parallel
performance tools with multiple targets or computational programs that
otherwise run on the CPU).

I'm thinking specifically about CUDA and NVIDIA management and
performance stuff, but also more generally.  Unfortunately, at least
until AMD GGPUs get well established, NVIDIA support is pretty much de
rigeur in HPC and machine learning application (if that isn't an HPC
subset).  I thought about offload in libgomp as an example, but I found
what's involved difficult to follow; it's not immediately clear to me
what interfaces are used, and how.

I suppose the first question is whether dummy libcuda etc. already
exists that could be used for packaging.  I've looked without luck, but
maybe someone here knows.  Second, is the legal position on producing
such a thing from header information clear?  I guess that would be a
question for the legal list, but I've failed to get mail to that in the
past, and I guess the answer is generally known.  Thanks.