Re: Fedora 33 Mass Rebuild

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 3:32 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > From a very cursory scan (not at all scientific),
> > > some percentage are the cmake macro changes.
> >
> > CMake macros are documented in the packaging guidelines:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/CMake/
> >
> > Here's an example of how to adjust it:
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/alembic/c/83812e6c762c28c7e2141860711a3598c101256f
>
> The changes should have landed _BEFORE_ mass rebuild, if the change
> owner didn't have the permissions they should have done PRs for all
> the packages rather than having zero direct comms to affected package
> owners and having them find out of a change needed post mass rebuild
> when they get generic FTBFS bugs.
>
> Now people have even more work to do for the unexpected mess :-(

For what it's worth, I've spent almost every single weekend
alternating between this change and the Btrfs one. I wound up also
having to implement the EPEL7 and EPEL8 macros (that were out of scope
of the change, but I did it anyway because people complained). Igor
and myself had been working on doing the updates each weekend we
could, however my internet connectivity to Dist-Git and Koji had been
troublesome for the past few weekends, and that has made working on it
hard.

Even with all that, we did already fix somewhere close to 500 of the
1469 packages that required updates.

Do not insinuate that we are not trying! The sheer number of packages
to fix, combined with everybody using CMake slightly differently, has
made this not as straightforward as I wanted it to be.