Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Monday, July 27, 2020 6:57:07 AM MST Solomon Peachy wrote:
> Additionally, Fedora's default configuration (for many, many, many years
> now) has had /etc/resolv.conf dynamically generated by NetworkManager.
> Local changes made directly to resolv.conf could (and would) get blown
> away at any time.

Yes, but only IF NetworkManager is being used for DNS. If you don't set DNS
servers there, or use a static configuration (as I do both at home and at
work, and many others do, even though NetworkManager), this is just going to
break users' systems.

> So users needing a non-volatile resolv.conf already have to take extra
> steps to achieve that.  Under this proposal, different (but simpler!)
> steps will be necessary to achieve the same result.

Yes, it's already there right now! And, upon upgrade, their file will be
removed without even checking to see if it's set by NetworkManager or the end
user, and replaced with a symlink. This will needlessly break users' systems
upon upgrade. Lennart described another mode of operation for systmed-
resolved, where it continues to use /etc/resolv.conf exactly as you'd expect.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.