Re: ar (binutils) segfaulting in Rawhide - known bug?

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 11:03:58PM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> On Sun, 2020-07-26 at 09:39 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> > >
> > > Done.
> >
> > Hmmmm.  Yet my most recent build attempt, just now, failed with a
> > linker segfault on all arches:
> >
> > https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1546752
> >
> > This is with:
> > annobin-9.24.2-fc33
> > binutils-2.35-1.fc33
> > gcc-10.2.1-1.fc33
> > glibc-2.31.9000-21.fc33
> As Kevin mentioned in a followup, he's untagged the 2.35 build so this should be
> working again.
>
> I think I see the root cause in the linker now.  It's probably an uncommon
> scenario, but I doubt binutils is the only affected package.
>
> The even better news is I think we can go ahead and green light the mass rebuild
> for Monday.  Two reasons.  One, I expect the preconditions necessary to trip the
> bug to be uncommon.  Two, I think we can reliably detect a broken binary by the
> existence of absolute symbols in the dynamic symbol table.
>
> The latter in particular means we've got a method where we can find affected
> packages while Nick and I iterate on the linker fix.  So even if the bug leaks
> into packages, we can find them and do targeted rebuilds.

The problem with that is that if broken builds land in the buildroot of
other packages, those dependent packages might either a) fail to build,
b) be built incorrectly, for example because feature detection fails.
Situation a) happens in mass rebuilds quite a lot anyway, so it's not
a big issue, since the build would just be repeated. But b) is more serious.
Even if you detect that a package was faulty and needs to be rebuilt,
we might have to also rebuild all packages using that faulty package
as a build dependency, recursively.  This quickly becomes messy :(

Zbyszek