Re: ar (binutils) segfaulting in Rawhide - known bug?

On Sun, 2020-07-26 at 09:39 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 6:41 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 04:55:31PM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> > > What would help would be if someone could untag that version of binutils so that
> > > it doesn't show up in the buildroots anymore.  It's clearly fubar'd.
> >
> > Done.
>
> Hmmmm.  Yet my most recent build attempt, just now, failed with a
> linker segfault on all arches:
>
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1546752
>
> This is with:
> annobin-9.24.2-fc33
> binutils-2.35-1.fc33
> gcc-10.2.1-1.fc33
> glibc-2.31.9000-21.fc33
As Kevin mentioned in a followup, he's untagged the 2.35 build so this should be
working again.

I think I see the root cause in the linker now.  It's probably an uncommon
scenario, but I doubt binutils is the only affected package.

The even better news is I think we can go ahead and green light the mass rebuild
for Monday.  Two reasons.  One, I expect the preconditions necessary to trip the
bug to be uncommon.  Two, I think we can reliably detect a broken binary by the
existence of absolute symbols in the dynamic symbol table.

The latter in particular means we've got a method where we can find affected
packages while Nick and I iterate on the linker fix.  So even if the bug leaks
into packages, we can find them and do targeted rebuilds.

I'll find the fesco issue and add some notes there along with my recommendation.

jeff