Re: Policy for Modules in Fedora and Fedora ELN - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:29:17AM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> Le 09/07/2020 à 20:00, Ben Cotton a écrit :
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ModularPolicy
>
> > There is a preview of the new policy available at
> > https://sgallagh.fedorapeople.org/docs/modularity/modularity/policies/
>

> I think this part may be confusing
>
> Packages provided at runtime by the default stream of a module MUST
> depend only on packages provided by packages from default module
> streams or the non-modular package set. By extension, default streams
> of a module MUST NOT have a dependency on any non-default stream.[3]
>
> I think if should be possible, and modularity have been designed for
> such usage, to depend on "all" versions of a dependant stream
>
> Example,
>
> LANG as a module with version 1, 2, 3
>
> APP using LANG build using each version
>
> So in metadata
>
> data
> name: APP
> dependencies:
> - buildrequires:
> LANG: []
> - requires
> LANG: []
>
> And documentation seems to forbid this usage.

I believe that an intention of the documentation is that if APP is a default
stream, then exactly one of LANG streams must be default. That assures that
when installing a package (non-modular, or from a default stream), no
non-default stream becomes enabled.

I agree that the documentation could be understood in the other way, you
pointed, and that is that every package of a default stream _regardless of
a context_ must not depend on a non-default stream.

The documentation could be clarified like this:

    Packages provided at runtime by at least one context of a default stream
    of a module MUST depend only on packages provided by packages from default
    module streams or the non-modular package set. By extension, at least one
    context of the default streams of a module MUST NOT have a dependency on
    any non-default stream on each platfrom.

But it becomes less comprehensive.

-- Petr