Re: Ditch RPM in favor of DPKG

On Thu, 2020-07-16 at 10:11 +0000, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
> > Simply put, "no". Debian and Ubuntu ".deb" packages too often don't
> > follow the File System Hierarchy, they may have different layouts
> > and
> > package naming capitalization schemes for matching Fedora packagers
> > like "PyYAML", they may have overlapping pre-set uids and
> > mismatched
> > group name conventions, etc., etc, and the grub intigration for new
> > kernels is likely to be a nightmare. It would be a full-time job
> > for
> > several competent engineers to do that kind of package impedance
> > matching.
>
> I'm not interested in debating Debian and derivatives packaging
> guidelines, but I generally prefer how Fedora does things (except
> notably, modularity).

I have to say that, from my perspective due to past experience, having
to use the Debian/Ubuntu packaging for development in Fedora would
have me scrambling to find another distribution for my desktop.

While dpkg is just a learning curve thing, rpm is much simpler when
doing development/bug fixing for me. Indeed the fact that Fedora used
rpm is one of reasons I have continued to use Fedora for my desktop
for so many years.

Oddly, the subject of the original post infers getting rid of rpm but
the post itself sounds like it's proposing something different and
that's why I decided to speak up.

Ian