Re: Btrfs in Silverblue

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 7:45 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Nah, this kind of selection you do in the initrd, not in the boot loader.
> >
> > There are two examples of the latter: (open)SUSE and rpm-ostree. I'm
> > not aware of any examples of the former.
>
> I am sorry, what? rpm-ostree has a grub module it needs to operate?

No.

You said "this kind of selection" - which suggests user action. The
user action to choose a particular tree version has two examples, and
both of them happen in the bootloader (really, the boot manager's menu
of boot entries). I don't know what selection of this would look like
if it were in the initrd - maybe some kind of automatic test for
successful boot and if it doesn't succeed it reboots and tries some
other tree automatically? But changing trees like this means you need
a way to specify them without depending on read-write mount. You may
not have read-write mount during the failed boot.

> > Note however that there's resistance supporting arbitrary partition
> > type GUIDs, due to tooling. The installer depends on 'parted' for
> > doing the partitioning and 'parted' has no concept of arbitrary
> > partition types, each one must be explicitly added, and they are way
> > behind where fdisk and gdisk are. As in, nothing in the Discoverable
> > Partition Spec is in 'parted' right now. I've asked multiple times
> > over the years.
>
> use libfdisk instead?

That's up to anaconda/blivet folks. I can't estimate the amount of
work to do that, versus the gains.

--
Chris Murphy