Re: Btrfs in Silverblue

On Fr, 10.07.20 09:34, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > That makes things a lot more robust, as btrfs will then just work like
> > any other fs even if you insert the root subvol in between like
> > anaconda apparently does.
> >
> > I think there's big value in allowing short kernel cmdlines that are
> > as similar as possible everywhere, instead of blowing it up with
> > different switches for every single case.
>
> I agree with all of the above, but there is a contra argument. There is
> something to be said about having an understandable system, one that self
> describes how it's assembled, and boots. Changing the default subvolume
> obscures this, and now one of the "connect the dots" steps of boot becomes
> a dot on a completely different page in another book.

I am pretty sure a self-describing system is the best system. And if
one subvolume is marked "as default" and then booted into "as default"
then that's fantastically self-descriptive.

The concept of default subvolumes exists, for cases like this, and it
simplifies things and makes them more robust.

There's really no need to complicate things by pushing btrfsisms into
user-visible concepts needlessly.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin