Re: PostgreSQL 13 - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:17 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> The PostgreSQL client library (libpq component) is compatible, so
> there shouldn't be any issues, but rebuild of the depended components
> is better to be sure. There is a
> [https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/panovotn/postgresql-13beta2/
> COPR build] available for testing.

What does "is compatible but rebuild of dependencies is better to be
sure" mean here?
Is there an ABI / SONAME involved in the libpq update?

> Server plugins might require a newer version update, because they
> sometimes have explicit server requirements. PostgreSQL maintainer
> will help fixing/rebuilding any issues in the plugins.

I'd rather see an organized rebuild of dependent packages, preferably
in a koji side tag.
During the fedora 32 development cycle, this didn't happen at all and
postgresql plugins needed to be "rescued" shortly before the fedora 32
GA.

> == Dependencies ==
>
> There are some packages (mostly server plugins), that build on top of
> PostgreSQL. Since the separation of PostgreSQL client library (libpq
> component), only packages that build server plugins should use
> postgresql package in BuildRequires, others should use libpq. In both
> the cases, rebuild should be done to make sure all potential binary
> incompatibilities are handled.

Do you expect binary incompatibilities between libpq 12 and 13? I
would hope that not to be the case if there's not an SONAME bump ...
but if there *is* an ABI change, a targeted rebuild of those
dependencies should happen.

> == Contingency Plan ==
>
> Modules will provide the functional version of PostgreSQL 12,
> available to all users.

As Miro said - this is not a contingency plan.
We can't just ship a broken version of postgresql by default.

> == Release Notes ==
>
> Release notes for PostgreSQL 13 release:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/index.html
>
> Overall overview of the changes and improvements:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/release-13.html

It looks like the final release of PostgreSQL 13 will happen not long
before the fedora 33 release date (sometime in "Q3 2020" according to
upstream).

I would suggest to wait with the PostgreSQL 13 update until the final
release, and then do the necessary builds and rebuilds of dependent
packages in a side tag, and check the results. If they're bad, hold
off on the PostgreSQL 13 update until fedora 34 (or fix broken
dependencies). If the results are good, merge the side tag and ship
PostgreSQL 13 with fedora 33 (preferably before the beta release).
Everything else is asking for trouble (particularly looking back at
the corresponding f32 Change).

Fabio