Re: Btrfs in Silverblue

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 5:31 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Di, 14.07.20 04:35, Neal Gompa (ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > Nah, this kind of selection you do in the initrd, not in the boot loader.
> >
> > Yes. SUSE does this at the bootloader time. A *huge* part of the code
> > they added to GRUB is to automatically discover all this and populate
> > the menu and boot selection. None of this code exists in the upstream
> > GRUB codebase. This is done so that when snapper automatically creates
> > snapshots, it's created and stored in a structure that GRUB knows to
> > traverse and enumerate for the menu. It *is* GRUB dependent, but in
> > practice, this is fine since they only use GRUB. And for that matter,
> > that's mostly true for us too...
>
> Oh, christ. So they have to replicate their whole frickin storage
> stack in Grub, with LUKS, iscsi, DM, MD, LVM and whatnot to make this
> work. This sounds like a maintainance nightmare.
>
> I am pretty sure we shouldn't try to replicate that. Boot loaders
> should be simple, and we should leave the initrd do such logic using
> our usual Linux storage stacks.
>
> > I am growing to understand that this is increasingly fundamentally
> > incompatible with the way Red Hat has been going with this. In the Red
> > Hat world with the Bootloader Spec, this *has* to be managed at the
> > initramfs/OS level and explicitly generated and configured. Things
> > like Boom (remember that?) are supposed to generate bootloader entry
> > configuration snippets when OS snapshots are made.
>
> Given that boot loader spec entries are just single drop-in files it
> should be reasonably safe and simple to add them and remove them
> atomically.
>
> > > The current GPT partition types for the root fs are defined for each
> > > arch separately, so that you can have a single GPT disk image with one
> > > root fs partition for each arch, but that doesn't fit anymore if
> > > suddenly one of the root fs can hold the data for multiple archs,
> > > because its btrfs with multiple subvols.
> >
> > It would be good to develop a scheme for this sort of thing and see if
> > we can also get openSUSE on board too, especially in time for SLE
> > 16.
>
> Do they document how they name stuff for this snapper thing anywhere?

I think it's documented somewhere, but I'll have to look for it...

> > > By doing that correctly now, you can easily extend things later
> > > incrementally without breaking stuff, just by *adding* stuff. And you
> > > gain immediate compat with "systemd-nspawn --image=" right-away as the
> > > basic minimum, which already is great.
> >
> > I would love to do that now, but right now I want to make sure
> > everything *works* before we jumble up the scheme we use to set up the
> > subvolumes.
>
> Maybe delay this feature one iteration if things aren't clear?

Changing the names for the subvolumes is *easy*, but right now I'm
working on getting ARM disk images built. Everything else is basically
done. I only really have bandwidth to work on one thing at a time
right now, so I'm literally talking about days or a week or so before
I can think about changing the scheme. It's not a "feature delay"
thing, it's a "Neal can only do one thing at a time" thing. :)