Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Monday, July 13, 2020 10:48:03 AM MST Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 7/13/20 8:21 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>
> > On Monday, July 13, 2020 1:58:30 AM MST Benjamin Berg wrote:
> >
> >> But, I also think that the people proposing this have done quite a lot
> >> of testing to find reasonable values for various scenarios. If they
> >> have done their job correctly, then EarlyOOM will *not* prevent you
> >> from fully utilizing your system memory in most scenarios.
> >

> > By the very nature of the configuration, that's not the case. For example,
> > on my system, for example, it will start sending SIGTERM where I have
> > over 600 MiB free, and will begin to simply kill software when I have
> > over a quarter of a gigabyte left.
>

> You keep making this claim as if you actually know.  Have you tested it?
>   Have you even heard of someone else testing it that ran into that?

Yes, I have tested it. With Swap on ZRAM, it's precisely as I described. With
no swap it's like that, and with swap of equal size, it's at 300 MiB free and
only an eight of a gigabyte left.

That's what this software does. Its entire purpose is to kill software based
on memory criteria.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.