Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 12:26:27 AM MST Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 02:17:53PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:04:01 AM MST Richard Hughes wrote:

> > > It disables functionality which can destroy platform security.
> >

> > It disables functionality that users need, such as inserting their kernel
> >
> > modules on their own system, or hibernating to disk. Let's be honest about
> >  what this does. This is not something that's beneficial here, it's only
> > harming our users.
>

> Some users, not all users. Beware of making sweeping generalizations.
>
> I've used Fedora since Fedora Core 5 across countless machines and never
> cared about inserting custom kernel modules. Hibernating to disk is not
> something I've used on my laptops in probably 10 years either, as suspend
> to ram is generally sufficient. Again just my personal experiance.
>
> There's always a tradeoff and it is likely to be different depending on
> each users needs. While SecureBoot will disable some functionality it is
> not unreasonable to think it is a net win out of the box for a potentially
> quite large portion of Fedora's userbase.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Please keep in mind that it disables that functionality only because of
'lockdown' patches applied to the Fedora kernel, it's not a normal part of the
Linux kernel when running under Secure Boot. I have no idea why the decision
to hurt users was explicitly made here, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.