Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 16:24 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 18:48 -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

> > > I'm leaning towards recommending this as well. I feel like we don't have
> > > good data to make a decision on -- the work that Red Hat did previously when
> > > making a decision was 1) years ago and 2) server-focused, and the Facebook
> > > production usage is encouraging but also not the same use case. I'm
> > > particularly concerned about metadata corruption fragility as noted in the
> > > Usenix paper. (It'd be nice if we could do something about that!)
> >
> > So if one has a spare partition to play with btrfs, is there an easy
> > way to install a second copy of Fedora without having the /boot/efi/
> > entries overwrite the existing Fedora installation?  Or fix it to have
> > 2 separate entries after the fact?
>
> If you mean the EFI boot manager entry, just renaming the existing one
> something other than "Fedora" ought to do the trick, I think. So far as
> /boot/efi goes...well, you have two choices. You can have the two
> installs share one, or have two separate ones. I *think* both options
> at least in theory ought to work, I'm not sure if anyone's tested...

actually, no, thinking about it harder, I think sharing one wouldn't
work right. I think you have to have a new /boot/efi for the second
install, as well as a separate /boot.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey