Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Monday, July 6, 2020 2:10:18 AM MST Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> On 5.7.2020 19:31, Solomon Peachy wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 07:18:47PM -0000, Tom Seewald wrote:
> >
> >> In terms of physical x86 systems, you are right that UEFI is the
> >> overwhelming majority. But as stated elsewhere in this thread, a lot
> >> of cloud providers and virtualization software default to using BIOS.
> >> So I think Fedora should only start considering dropping BIOS support
> >> once the default is UEFI on most virtualization platforms.
> >
> > FWIW, I completely agree with this.
>

> As do I.
>
> Hopefully Daniel's response of the poor state those tools are in, will
> raise some red flags within Red Hat in which it starts throwing some
> resources ( money,workforce) to have this addressed before RHEL 9 gets
> released.
>
> Atleast that is what I would do if I was a person in power within Red
> Hat ( or a company that provides or relies on a solution based on those
> tools) and had read his response which described quite the "alarming
> situation" for products within the company in relation where the
> industry is heading.

I don't understand why you're trying to light fires for no reason. What we
have now works on all platforms already, including UEFI. If every existing
system dropped BIOS support *today*, we'd still be fine.

Please don't exaggerate the importance of these issues. We have a working UEFI
solution with GRUB2, which also works well for BIOS. There is no reason for
RHEL to drop BIOS either, in fact, they have more reason to support it than
Fedora: So their customers can continue to use their product.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.