Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.

On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 01:24:46PM -0000, ziba  wrote:
> Fedora should absolutely CONTINUE supporting  BIOS boot (sometimes wrongly
> labeled "legacy BIOS").

Yep, Fedora should continue supporting BIOS boot at least for the next
few years.  This question will surely be revisited after the remaining
x86 CPU makers join Intel in formally droping BIOS support (and quite
possibly the 16-bit CPU modes needed to boot via BIOS!)

And yes, "legacy BIOS" is an accurate term.  It is an obelete, long
deprecated, and soon-to-be-retired system with insurmountable technical
limitations including a hard 2TB upper limit on drive sizes that we've
been running into for more than a decade.

(2TB SATA drives have been available since at least mid-2009.
 Meanwhile, folks with hardware RAID controllers have been running into
 this problem even longer)

> BIOS will be cherished for decades to come!

s/cherished/despised/

Fortunately, decades from now, BIOS systems will only exist in museums
and emulators.

> Fedora does not want to lose out in the huge BIOS based market.

BIOS-based systems make up a miniscule minority of the current market.
Pretending otherwise is delusional, and delusions are no basis for
technical decisions.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)