Re: Disable dmraid.service on first run if no dmraid sets are found - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:04:26AM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Dne 30. 06. 20 v 10:57 Vitaly Zaitsev via devel napsal(a):
> >On 29.06.2020 22:04, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >>Fedora only support these RAID sets when they are already configured in
> >>the BIOS at installation time. So we can solve the problem of
> >>dmraid.service still depending on the obsolete udev-settle service by
> >>making dmraid.service disable itself if no supported RAID sets are found
> >>on its first run.
> >
> >+1 for this change.
> >
> >Also the LVM monitor can be disabled too if LVM is not used in current
> >Fedora installation.
> >
> >LVM monitor: -2.01 seconds.
> >RAID: -2.41 seconds.
>
> If the user does not need lvm2, then the package  should not be installed/
> However when lvm2 is installed - lvm2 monitoring service is supposed to
> be there and enabled - it should not impact load time all that much...

[The details have been discussed in some newer messages in the thread,
so I'm making just a general comment here:]

I don't think uninstalling packages or disabling services is the way
to go. Ideally, we should have packages for all frequently used
storage stacks installed by default, and all services required to
support such stacks also enabled by default when installed. Having
things "just work" by default makes the user experience vastly better.

We also shouldn't be lightly recommending masking or uninstalling of
packages because unexperienced users see such recommendations and may
follow them without fully understanding what the effect is.

Instead, services should be smart enough to exit quickly if they have
nothing to manage (which lvm2-monitor already does). And ideally,
storage services should only be started in response to hotplug events
that detect given hardware type to exist (which apparently could be
improved a bit, but as long as the noop cost is small, this is not a
such a big issue).

Zbyszek