Re: Disabling lvm2-monitor.service (was Disable dmraid.service on first run if no dmraid sets are found - Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal)

Dne 30. 06. 20 v 14:08 Hans de Goede napsal(a):
Hi,

On 6/30/20 1:27 PM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Dne 30. 06. 20 v 12:43 Hans de Goede napsal(a):
Hi,

On 6/30/20 12:27 PM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Dne 30. 06. 20 v 12:18 Hans de Goede napsal(a):
Hi,

On 6/30/20 11:42 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Dne 30. 06. 20 v 11:34 Vitaly Zaitsev via devel napsal(a):
On 30.06.2020 11:23, Igor Raits wrote:
Sadly you can't have lvm2 not installed:

Yes, but it can be disabled.

I'm sorry but e.g. dmraid-activation still running on every Fedora
Workstation install, instead of it being event activated does not give
the impression of you paying attention.

Yes -  you are most likely missing that 'lvm2-monitoring' does something only when it's in-use.

Ok, so I just checked an you are right, in my memory I was
disabling this because it kept a running process around
doing nothing, but now I see:

[hans@x1 ~]$ sudo systemctl status lvm2-monitor.service
● lvm2-monitor.service - Monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeve>
      Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lvm2-monitor.service; enabled; ven>
      Active: active (exited) since Tue 2020-06-30 10:37:37 CEST; 3h 20min ago
        Docs: man:dmeventd(8)
              man:lvcreate(8)
              man:lvchange(8)
              man:vgchange(8)
    Main PID: 903 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       Tasks: 0 (limit: 18803)
      Memory: 0B
         CPU: 0
      CGroup: /system.slice/lvm2-monitor.service

Ideally this would not start at all when not necessary, but
yes there is lower hanging fruit, sorry for the noise. >

Well there can be some extras bit of settings tuned slightly better - but
overall I believe we do a pretty good here - service is automatically exiting also when last user goes away for a longer period of time - so really
lvm2-monitoring as long as is not in-use shouldn't be bothering users.

For me lvm2-monitor.service quickly exits using just 34mS CPU time.

ATM we are not recommending users to enable services themselves once the come to conclusion they need it - we consider them granted from installation of package.

1.) If the user does not need lvm2 - it should not be installed.

Well this one is a bit tricky, for one because even basic lvm support
(just VGs and LVs and nothing else) brings in support for all the
other less basic features which lvm/dm has.

And with livecd installs, the package-set which is on the livecd
is also what will end up being installed, even if the user has chosen
to use a raw partition (note since lvm is the default this is not a
big issue I guess).

It's probably still valuable to i.e. get notification in syslog about
full snapshot or thin-pool - so I'd say  34mS is reasonable compromise,
compared with the complexity we would have put on users to play with
services themself.

But it's good we came to conclusion lvm2-monitor service is not a problem ;)

Regards

Zdenek