Re: Better Thermal Management for the Workstation - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 09:25 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ThermalManagementWS
>
> == Summary ==
> Better thermal management and peak performance on Intel CPUs by
> including
> thermald in the default install.

I have strong feeling that this has been already submitted before.

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Changes%2FThermalManagementWS&type=revision&diff=580846&oldid=557200

Sadly the diff is so small that I don't think change owners really read
feedback from the mailing list. Neither it incorporated "Feedback"
section in the proposal.

> [...]
> * Email: bberg@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> * Name: [[User:ckellner| Christian J. Kellner]]
> * Email: ckellner@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> * Product: Workstation
> * Responsible WG: Workstation
>

> == Detailed Description ==
>
> Modern Intel-based systems provide sensors and methods to monitor and
> control temperature of its CPUs. The Thermal daemon will use those
> sensors
> to monitor the temperature and use the best available method to keep
> the
> CPU in the right temperature envelop. On certain systems this is
> needed to
> reach the maximal performance. thermald will for example use the PPCC
> power
> table to set power limits (when available, see for example
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/kernel-packages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg411614.html
> ).
> This is for example the case on Ice Lake, where thermald can increase
> the
> performance of the out-of-the-box behaviour of Fedora.
>
> Not strictly necessary, but *further* improvements can be achieved by
> using
> per-model thermald configurations. The most straight forward way of
> using
> those is for the user to install dptfxtract (available from
> rpmfusion). At
> least parts of what dptfxtract can already do may be integrated into
> thermald in the future thanks to the reverse engineering work done by
> Matthew Garret (see
> https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/tree/mg_patches_test,
> https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/pull/224). Should the reverse
> engineering effort be merged, or if the user installs dptfxtract,
> then they
> can expect a performance boost on some machines.
>
> Theoretically one could ship appropriate per-machine configurations
> as a
> separate package (or inside thermald). However, this is not part of
> the
> proposal for a number of reasons:
>  1. It is not clear how the configuration data can be collected
>  2. We do not currently have an implementation to load such
> configuration
> data
>  3. This may become obsolete with if the reverse-engineering effort
> continues and is merged (or picked up by Fedora)
>
> For a more details explanation please consult Intel's [
>
> https://01.org/linux-thermal-daemon/documentation/introduction-thermal-daemon
> introduction] to thermald.
>
> == Benefit to Fedora ==
> Better out-of-the-box experience due to improved cooling methods and
> performance on Intel systems. This affects many modern laptops (e.g.
> the
> Ice Lake platform). On affected machines, Fedora would continue to
> have
> poorer performance compared to other distributions.

I think the change page is missing information what exactly this daemon
does if it is installed.

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
>  - Include the thermald package in the default Workstation install

I believe this won't do anything because the daemon won't be enabled.

> * Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Release engineering:
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> == How To Test ==
>
> Install the packages and use e.g. turbostat to monitor the
> performance.
> Improvements may only be visible if the non-free dptfxtract package
> is also
> installed.

So if improvements are only visible when non-free software is installed
- - what is the reason to ship it by default?

> == User Experience ==
>  - Better performance on certain hardware
>  - Better cooling of CPUs on certain hardware
>
> == Dependencies ==
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> == Contingency Plan ==
> * Contingency mechanism: Don't ship package by default
> * Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> * Blocks release? N/A

- --
Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>