Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

On Monday, June 29, 2020 12:32:56 AM MST Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 6/29/20 12:27 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:

> >> How many times are you going to keep mentioning ZFS?  It's completely
> >> off the table, not allowed, never happening.  (I consider the chance of
> >> Oracle doing something reasonable to be immeasurably small.)
> >

> > See the relevant section of Mark's email. I also don't see how it'd
> > require Oracle to change anything in order to get OpenZFS into Fedora.
>

> You were mentioning ZFS, not OpenZFS.  However, it's still the same
> problem.  OpenZFS is CDDL which won't be accepted.  The only way that
> can be changed is if Oracle does something.  And as long as OpenZFS is
> an out-of-tree module, it won't be in Fedora.

ZFS, in terms of Linux support, is generally OpenZFS. You will note that Mark
also simply said "ZFS". Yes, OpenZFS is under CDDL. That's not really a
problem. See https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2016/linux-kernel-cddl.html. Ubuntu's solution is wouldn't work for us, and it is a GPL
violation (https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux/), but
it's also not necessary. The package for OpenZFS could be provided as a kmod
package instead, which would *not* be a GPL violation.

I don't understand the attitude against this particular out-of-tree module, as
it's readily available for every kernel within days of release. The longest
lulls have been around holidays, where it took up to 5 days to get support for
the latest stable kernel.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.