Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Friday, June 26, 2020 10:53:59 AM MST David Cantrell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:23:17PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:

> >> That is not how it felt at the time :P
> >>

> >> It's really the point about Unexpected Forcible Learning. If I sit down
> >> at my computer and think "right, I'm going to learn to do X", that's
> >> one thing. I am mentally prepared to spend some time stumbling around
> >> working out how to do X.
> >>

> >> The problem with this experience is that's not how it happens. You
> >> don't sit down and thinking "today I'm going to learn how to use vi" or
> >> "today I'm going to learn about console text editors and the $EDITOR
> >> variable". You were intending to do something else, and you were
> >> suddenly sandbagged by this fracking weird thing you have no idea what
> >> it is that got in the way of the something else you were trying to do.
> >>

> >> Yes, eventually you learn something, but it's not a "pretty good user
> >> experience", it is a frustrating and annoying one.
> >

> >But thats more or less the expectation of unix and unix like systems.  For
> >all
 the porcelain and chrome we've put around it, under the covers, its
> >all still a bag of parts, and the expectation is (or should be) when using
> >a bag of parts, you will have to learn how several of those parts work (be
> >it vi or nano when using git, or substitue your tool of choice here).  You
> >start with a tool, you relize it relies on another tool, so you have to
> >push it down the stack and figure out the new tool as part of the overall
> >process.
> >
> >I'll share a simmilar experience to commiserate.  During this thread, I
> >went to
 go confirm that eclipse actually used its own internal git editor
> >for adding commit messages. Thought it was going to be easy.  Quickly
> >realized that eclipse didn't come with git integration out of the box, so
> >I had to go figure out how to get git support in, then how to configure
> >it, then how to interface to it. It all felt like kinda the same tool,
> >because it all happened in one of a few related windows, but its really
> >learning several disparate tools, and thats ok. I still don't like using
> >eclipse, but not because it made me go figure out several new tools, I
> >don't like it because it seems nuts to me to have an IDE with a 400M
> >Resident set size to edit ascii text. :)
> >
> >Heres a thought that I hadn't considered before though, and it might be
> >useful.
 Apple at one point (and still may), shiped iphones without the
> >itunes (or some common) app on it,
> >and they did so intentionally, because they knew it was an app that people
> >wanted, and it forced them into a sort of 'training mission' in which they
> >had
 to use the app store on their phone to find and install the itunes
> >app.  It gave end users, after their initial disgruntledness, the skills
> >to install new apps on their phone, and explore how some of the system
> >worked.
>

> I'm not sure that's a good comparison.  Are we trying to force train new vi
> users or gain new Fedora users and developers?  Fedora doesn't have a
> business interest in users being forced to learn vi like Apple does with
> users learning to use the App Store.
>

> >Would that be a possibility here?  I've upgraded my fedora workstation so
> >many times, I'm not sure what our firstboot screens look like anymore,
> >but would it be worthwhile to present users with some text, or a guide
> >wizard, to point out files like their ~/.bashrc file with some commented
> >text that shows clearly what some useful environment variables are, and
> >how they might set them to customize their experience?  Its not very 'just
> >press the button to do something you may or may not understand', but it
> >targets new users as part of firstboot, and introduces them in a somewhat
> >friendly way to how things look under the covers, so they can make
> >adjustments as their needs dictate.  Even if they don't do it immediately,
> >they will have a reference to something they can recall if they find later
> >that their choice of editor is not something they are comfortable with.
>

> Sounds like something suitable for gnome-initial-setup.  I think /etc/motd
> with that info would be useful on the non-workstation releases.  Slackware
> always installed a "welcome" email to the root user with similar info.
> OpenBSD has 'man afterboot'.  There's a lot we can do here.  The common
> thing appears to be helping guide the user.  For text editing, nano does
> that better by default than other text editors.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT

Please keep in mind that there is more to Fedora desktop than the GNOME Spin.
There's nothing like gnome-initial-setup for KDE Spin, or any of the other
desktops.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.