Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 08:39:46AM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Again, I'm not against the proposal, but I would prefer a better and sane
> discussion.
> Honestly most end users dislike the CLI.
> However I understand that discussion is not about "what is my preferred
> editor?".
> I understand that discussion is "if by chance an end user has to use CLI,
> he/she will not know what/how to do with vim".
> In such a case nano is easier (regardless that the argument about how hard
> is quitting vim is exaggerated, Ctrl+o is not easier that ZZ).
> But please, again, most end users prefer to use a gui editor. Is not about
> that a newcomer has to know **what** is KWrite/Kate/Gedit/etc, it's about
> that choices are of easy access through KDE/GNOME/MATE/XFce/etc graphical
> environments.

Hi,

While users do prefer graphical editors, they fact that the editor
window is completely separate from the terminal (non-modal) creates a
big usability issue for the usecase of git. The problem is not so bad
if a new editor window is spawned, because then it is clear to the
user that the new window is in response to the terminal action. But
when the user already has the editor open, most editors will simply
pop up a new tab. The way I have seen this work in practice is that
newbies see their git prompt "hang" and are oblivious to fact they
they should switch to the editor. But even if they do switch, they
will often just try to save the document, and not exit the editor.
When you have someone at hand to explain it to you, it's not so
bad, but without assistance, people get confused.

(More generally: for the edit command to work properly, git requires
that command not exit until after the file has been edited and saved.
This is trivial with any in-terminal editor, but guis most often
operate in the fashion where the command either goes into the
background to unblock the terminal, or sends a message to the
already-running instance to open another file and exits. All this can
usually be worked-around with specific options to the editor command,
but is certainly confusing to newbies.)

Because of this additional complexity with gui editors, I'm very
much convinced that a text editor is a better default. (And nano
is good choice among text editors...).

Zbyszek