Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

Once upon a time, Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> This is another step trying to make Fedora end-user friendly while the only
> effect is making it hostile to developers.

I've been setting $EDITOR and $VISUAL for ages (since long before Fedora
existed, probably since before Red Hat existed).

> As Fedora will never be used by
> end-users as it conflicts with Fedora's foundation Freedom.

I'm not sure why you think end-users can't use a free OS.

> With each such
> step it takes more and more effort to make a new Fedora installation usable by
> a developer (setenforce 0, dnf remove bash-completion, remove rhgb quiet etc.).

I've run with SELinux enabled for years, rarely if ever causes problems
for typical stuff.

I have no idea why you'd remove a useful tool like bash-completion.  It
has lots of things useful for developers.

Unless you are doing kernel development, why do you care what the kernel
messages say?  On my systems, they go by too fast to read anyway.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>