Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

Is this a vote? If so -1.

Don't pave the jungle, put on some boots!

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 12:33, David Kaufmann <astra@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:15:58AM -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> The most user friendly solution is to have nano by default with a very easy
> way to revert to vim for anyone that knows what they are doing.

No, it is not. It is user friendly to the users only using the command
line a few times or the users who prefer nano.

For users having to edit files on a lot of different systems this is
actually harmful and leads to bad behavior.

On a lot of systems I manage new users don't get a default shell - which
is reasonable for service users - which led to the behavior that I only
edit files as root - I think the reason is that switching to a service
user ends up in /bin/sh and tab completion often does not work anymore.

Maybe it is an option to limit this change to Fedora Workstation and
non-root accounts only? Or even better to put it as default only for
users created via GUI?
This could be achieved by appending 'alias EDITOR="nano"' to the .bashrc
from /etc/skel.

I'm fine with configuring it on my machine, but as I administer a lot of
machines (both Workstation and Server) I think the default for admins
should stay vi.

So it is a -1 from me for the current variant of the proposal.

All the best,
David

David Kirwan
Software Engineer