Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On 26/06/20 10:19 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 09:57:49 +0200, Samuel Sieb wrote:
The dnf one works fine.

It does not as I have shown. Moreover it takes so much time to do dnf command
completion and one always has to ctrl-c it anyway. That is because dnf should
use cached results updated by cron and do not contact network during
interactive cache queries. If one really wants most fresh data there is
--refresh for that.

That sounds like a good idea, and could be filed as a bug against
dnf. I'd prefer if it's optional though, because for me 'sudo dnf
install foo<TAB><TAB>' only takes seven seconds, not minutes, and
that seems reasonable to me.

But if you don't like how specific ones work, then file bugs.

The bug is bash-completion itself, I do not see what does it try to solve, the
best fix is just to remove it.

And you have that choice. Please don't claim to speak for all
developers when you say the entire package is a bug or makes Fedora
hostile to developers.