Re: Bundled compiler conundrum

Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The bi-weekly Wine update last week brought with it a minor version (5.0.0->5.1.0)
> wine-mono update. The update itself is not minor. The tarball is now bundling a
> Clang LLVM-based MinGW toolchain in binary form that is also required to compile the
> package. My first effort at stripping it out to use our Fedora MinGW toolchain
> doesn't work with the Clang style CFLAGS they have switched to. Before I spend more
> time de-bundling:
>
> I know bundled libraries are allowed, but what about bundled compilers?

If I am readying your question correctly, it's not just that wine
bundles compilers and libraries, it's that wine bundles pre-built
binaries of compilers and libraries.

As I understand it, bundling and use of pre-built binaries are two
different issues.

Bundling is allowed.

My reading of the packaging guidelines says using pre-bulit binaries is
not allowed at all:

"""
When you encounter prebuilt binaries in a package you MUST:

 -  Remove all pre-built program binaries and program libraries in %prep
    prior to the building of the package. Examples include, but are not
    limited to, *.class, *.dll, *.DS_Store, *.exe, *.jar, *.o, *.pyc,
    *.pyo, *.egg, *.so, *.swf files.
"""

And

"""
Some software (usually related to compilers or cross-compiler
environments) cannot be built without the use of a previous toolchain or
development environment (open source). If you have a package which meets
this criteria, contact the Fedora Packaging Committee for approval.
Please note that this exception, if granted, is limited to only the
initial build of the package. You may bootstrap this build with a
"bootstrap" pre-built binary, but after this is complete, you must
immediately increment Release, drop the "bootstrap" pre-built binary,
and build completely from source. Bootstrapped packages containing
pre-built "bootstrap" binaries must not be pushed as release packages or
updates under any circumstances.
"""

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/what-can-be-packaged/#prebuilt-binaries-or-libraries

Thanks,
Omair

--
PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108  E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0