Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:40 pm, Ian McInerney <Ian.S.McInerney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you sure this will work? I just ran a test, and putting a new config file inside /usr/lib/environment.d only works for Gnome, and doesn't work for Mate, Cinnamon or SSH (tested by opening a terminal in the respective session and examining the environment variables). From what I gather in [1], systemd is not a standard way of interacting with the user's environment variables, and only Gnome has decided to use it. So this method of implementing this change seems to be making the default editor for Gnome be nano and not changing the defaults for anyone else.

Erm... well, no. Plan foiled?

The goal of using /usr/lib/environment.d was to avoid setting more environment variables in random places in various shell scripts. But if that only works in GNOME, I guess it's not a great solution after all.