Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 08:30:37AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > That's an interesting question.  I think for the purposes of this
> > > discussion, we should acknowledge that usage of default module streams
> > > in Fedora and usage in RHEL aren't equivalent.  Therefore, failure of
> > > adoption in Fedora doesn't necessarily equate to failure in RHEL.
> > > With that context, I'll continue.
> >
> > Before we continue with that context, could you please elaborate on this?
>
> If I must.
>
> > Obviously  we can say "usage of default module streams in Fedora and RHEL is
> > different" and to some extent this will always be true. However I would  like to
> > know why they are *significantly* different to justify saying  the failure in
> > Fedora does not necessarily mean RHEL would experience  the same failure.
>
> For all the same reasons SCLs and containers are widely used and
> adopted in RHEL, but not Fedora.  (And before people say "Fedora has
> containers", I know that.  They're fine.  That doesn't mean you see a
> massive adoption of Fedora base images on a wide scale.)
>
> > What makes RHEL so different that the failure  is not relevant to it? Is it the
> > stable nature of RHEL content? Is it  the limited scope of RHEL content? Is it
> > the less "wild" development  process? Is it something different?
>
> Primarily, RHEL:
>
> - Moves much much slower
> - Has a base distribution that is extremely stable and does not
> version bump often across the "platform" layer of libraries, etc
> - Has a lifecycle that is equivalent to 20 Fedora releases (yes, twenty)
> - Has a broader downstream ecosystem of ISVs and products that require
> stability and continuity
>
> A default module stream in Fedora, which is only around for 13 months,
> provides little value when the next Fedora release likely is going to
> have a different default or a newer version in 6mo anyway.  Fedora
> moves the entire distribution too fast for there to be a lot of usage
> there.  RHEL can pin on a default and have that be the default on a
> long enough timeline that it actually works.

I have most definitely been less involved than Miro on the modularity work, so I
may be wrong (and will happily stand corrected if so) about the following.
If I understood correctly one of the major issue with default streams were
basically upgrades: how do we go from Fn to Fn+1?

RHEL has the advantages that your points #1 and #3 above high-light, however, I
expect that the upgrade question of default stream will still show up between
say RHEL8 and RHEL9.

I seem to recall that RHEL does not officially support upgrades from version N
to N+1, is that correct?

If so, there is right here a key difference between Fedora and RHEL: the life
cycle of a default stream is fixed to the life cycle of the underlying OS
without supported possibilities to move from version N to N+1.
If we were to do that in Fedora (not support N -> N+1), it is likely that the
default stream question would be much less problematic and vice-versa if Red Hat
start supporting upgrades from RHEL8 to RHEL9, the default stream question would
likely become much more challenging there.

Pierre