Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On 23. 06. 20 14:30, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 8:01 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 22. 06. 20 21:36, Josh Boyer wrote:
I'd like to ask whether RHEL 9 has decided for default modular streams despite
their failure in Fedora, whether this decision is final and what was the
reasoning behind it.

That's an interesting question.  I think for the purposes of this
discussion, we should acknowledge that usage of default module streams
in Fedora and usage in RHEL aren't equivalent.  Therefore, failure of
adoption in Fedora doesn't necessarily equate to failure in RHEL.
With that context, I'll continue.

Before we continue with that context, could you please elaborate on this?

If I must.

Not at all, feel free to not continue this conversation if it bothers you in any way. But I think it is extremely helpful to have the things said here and I thank you for doing it.

What makes RHEL so different that the failure  is not relevant to it? Is it the
stable nature of RHEL content? Is it  the limited scope of RHEL content? Is it
the less "wild" development  process? Is it something different?

Primarily, RHEL:

- Moves much much slower
- Has a base distribution that is extremely stable and does not
version bump often across the "platform" layer of libraries, etc
- Has a lifecycle that is equivalent to 20 Fedora releases (yes, twenty)
- Has a broader downstream ecosystem of ISVs and products that require
stability and continuity

I can see technical challenges with default modular streams in ELN, because even thou ELN is RHEL-like, the content is Rawhide-like and hence most of the above does not apply.

(Notice I say challenges: I don't say this is a reason why we should not have this.)

You are smart enough to come up with your own reasons.  The fact that
you phrased them as questions rather than statements highlights your
perspective on the discussion more than any actual merit of what I
just provided above.

I don't even know what to reply to this. If this is the way to handle the conversation, I'd rather end it here. Thanks for your replies, Josh.

AFAIK Stephan and Igor are working on general guidelines for default streams in ELN and any further discussion should probably happen after that.

--
Miro Hrončok