Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:56 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23. 06. 20 13:43, Josh Boyer wrote:

> >> When ELN was proposed and discussed, separate eln branches were proposed by
> >> several Fedora and RHEL maintainers. It was dismissed, and it was said
> >> repeatedly that rawhide/ELN divergence MUST be avoided. I wonder if that
> >> requirement has changed.
> >
> > Divergence where?  At the source level?  Why would the existence of a
> > default module in ELN cause divergence at the source level?  It
> > wouldn't.  The rawhide sources would be used for the module build in
> > ELN.
>
> I ma concerned about divergence at source level. Modules in Fedora are built
> from stream branches. Rawhide content is built from the "master" branch. This is
> the first time I've heard that rawhide sources would be used for the module
> build in ELN and it certainly makes the entire thing more appealing. I've
> already asked about this in:
>
> https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2390#comment-659188

Hmm.  I have introduced confusion.  My apologies for that, and let me rephrase.

First, I was talking about the sources themselves, not necessarily the
branches.  If you look at a single package, its source doesn't really
change when it's built as a stand-alone RPM, or a modular RPM.  It's
just a package.  Therefore, there isn't divergence at the source
level.  If the same version of the source is used in rawhide and ELN,
then I don't see divergence.

Secondly, I did not mean to imply there were concrete plans to build
modules from the rawhide branch in Fedora.  I should have said
"could", not "would".  However, if that's an approach that makes
things better in some ways then perhaps it should be looked at in
earnest as a compromise?

josh