Re: libgps soname bump (gpsd-3.20)

On Sat, 2020-06-20 at 08:30 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > The following packages are FTBFS, but not related to the gpsd
> > update:
> >
> >   * plasma-workspace - missing dependencies
> >   * vfrnav - looks like some problems with recent Boost
> >
> > I leave it up to the corresponding maintainers to fix them.
>
> Please never do this again, because you have now broken Rawhide.
>
> plasma-workspace is a key component of KDE, and KDE is a release-
> blocking desktop. This means the Rawhide compose fails if the KDE
> live
> build fails. The KDE live build now fails and we cannot fix this
> without fixing the plasma-workspace FTBFS.
>
> In future please do not push an soname bump if it is known to break a
> critical package like plasma-workspace.

So the problem with plasma-workspace is that most of Plasma is bumped
to 5.19 in dist-git, but pushing 5.19 actually got stuck halfway
through and we wound up untagging all 5.19 builds so what's tagged into
Rawhide is 5.18. Most Plasma packages won't build from the current
state of dist-git HEAD.

I reverted plasma-workspace to the state of the build that's currently
tagged (5.18.5-1.fc32) and pushed a bump-and-rebuild, hopefully it'll
go through this time. I also poked the KDE team to ask them to please
complete the 5.19 bump.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey