Re: New HPLIP release 3.20.6 doesn't require plugin for printers whose needed plugin in the past

On 6/16/20 11:28 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> Do you mean GPL as a license?
> Yes. By "the GPL driver", I mean the driver itself, which is under the GPL
> and/or compatible licenses, as opposed to the proprietary plugin.
Oh, sorry - when I read driver, I usually come up with associations like
PostScript driver, PDF driver, zjstream driver - based on what stuff
goes out of filtering chain. Professional deformation I guess :)

>> Either way, HP upstream makes new releases, but with not so much/any new
>> features or bugfixes. Mostly adding some new PPDs.
> This is quite unfortunate, because several printers are stuck requiring the
> plugin because of formerly patented algorithms whose patents have since
> expired, at least JBIG 1.
You're right. Unfortunately, upstream's responses are scarce... you can
try to approach them at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/opensuse/+source/hplip/+bug/1831091 .

>> Only jbig2 thing I recall is jbig2dec package which is in Fedora.
> Sorry, my mistake, it is actually JBIG 1 that is used, not JBIG 2. JBIG 1 is
> implemented by jbigkit, which you now maintain in Fedora. It has been in
> Fedora for 2 years now because the patent has expired. JBIG 1 is the core of
> several of the protocols implemented by the proprietary HPLIP plugin, as
> evidenced by the alternative drivers (foo2zjs etc.) for those printers
> depending on jbigkit. But unfortunately, the plugin does not just implement
> JBIG 1 directly, but large parts of the affected protocols are hidden inside
> the plugin, so it is not straightforward to produce a drop-in replacement
> for it.

Thanks for the explanation! I didn't know that, because I had my hands
full with other printing packages, so I haven't had time to look into
jbigkit circumstances yet.

Thanks!

>         Kevin Kofler

Zdenek Dohnal