Re: New HPLIP release 3.20.6 doesn't require plugin for printers whose needed plugin in the past

Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> Do you mean GPL as a license?

Yes. By "the GPL driver", I mean the driver itself, which is under the GPL
and/or compatible licenses, as opposed to the proprietary plugin.

> Either way, HP upstream makes new releases, but with not so much/any new
> features or bugfixes. Mostly adding some new PPDs.

This is quite unfortunate, because several printers are stuck requiring the
plugin because of formerly patented algorithms whose patents have since
expired, at least JBIG 1.

> Only jbig2 thing I recall is jbig2dec package which is in Fedora.

Sorry, my mistake, it is actually JBIG 1 that is used, not JBIG 2. JBIG 1 is
implemented by jbigkit, which you now maintain in Fedora. It has been in
Fedora for 2 years now because the patent has expired. JBIG 1 is the core of
several of the protocols implemented by the proprietary HPLIP plugin, as
evidenced by the alternative drivers (foo2zjs etc.) for those printers
depending on jbigkit. But unfortunately, the plugin does not just implement
JBIG 1 directly, but large parts of the affected protocols are hidden inside
the plugin, so it is not straightforward to produce a drop-in replacement
for it.

        Kevin Kofler