Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Fedora-Retired-Packages

Dne 15. 06. 20 v 22:43 Solomon Peachy napsal(a):
> This will silently break otherwise-working software on production
> systems, and provide no straightforward way to get back to a working
> state.

Can you give example?

> What about software installed from 3rd-party repositories?  What about
> packages that were downloaded and installed directly from ISVs?

Should not be affected.

> This is a laudable goal, but... surely a better approach is to improve
> the diagnostics when faced with upgrade failures?  That way the user
> will be able to make an informed choice at the time the problem would
> have occurred, rather than having the software (which they might be
> reliant upon) silently disappearing.

Informed choice...?

I'll give two use-cases.

PlayOnLinux - this is a piece of SW I used to use. It caused an issue during upgrade to F32 and it has been added to
fedora-obsolete-packages. Yet, when DNF told me it has to be removed, I reacted "WTF, I am using it". I looked up the
information and then I made an informed decision.

libgltf - This is actually a random package with *fc29* on my workstation. Hmm, one moment - yeah, dead package. I do
not even know what it does, why it happened to be on my computer. Hmmm, yes - nothing requires it. It can be safely
removed. And it is gone. Is it something silently using this, when it is present? Does it have some security issues? I
thought that when I was doing "dnf upgrade" every week, that I have secure system. Do I want to spend some time on this
to make informed decision? No. Too many question, I have other things to do.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Associate Manager ABRT/Copr, #brno, #fedora-buildsys