Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 09:17:13AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> I'd disagree, particularly around build systems and the compiler components
> within build systems.  THere's always exceptions, but by in large I believe
> upstreams are in the best position to select the compiler toolchains.

Fedora routinely trips over all manner of breakages by its aggressive
toolchain upgrades and enabling various security/hardening features that
upstreams (almost) always ignore.

Fedora's packagers carry the burden of fixing and maintaining patches
for countless packages that run into issues related to those toolchain
upgrades.

So why is this "upstream knows best" argument not valid with respect to
Fedora forcing mass upgrading to newer versions of GCC (or LLVM, or
whatever) and hardening features that expose misbehaviors?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)