Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: CompilerPolicy Change

Le lundi 08 juin 2020 à 09:48 -0600, Jeff Law a écrit :

> I put faith in both the upstreams and packagers to do the right thing
> for their project.  Right now Fedora policy does exactly the opposite
> by forcing everyone to use GCC rather than making an informed, per
> project, decision.

Look, 9∕10th of the times the "informed" upstream decision is just one
poor dev who slapped some build automation using the first compiler he
though of in quick and dirty mode so he could get back to coding as
fast as possible (sometimes, for another system than Linux, that was
grandfathered for Linux builds later, because who cares about those
things in real life).

Sifting through build systems, possible compilers and compiler options
takes an enormous amount of care and knowledge which is lacking in the
average upstream project. Only giants like Chrome or Mozilla can afford
to do this level of analysis. I’m not even putting LibreOffice in this
class – they switched compiler for a subset of their codebase, probably
just to workaround a perf regression quickly in the hope that someone
would analyse the regression causes later. Not even sure they bothered
to check if the regression happened with all possible build flags
combinations, one report of "it’s faster using compiler XXX" (one
version of one compiler on one system with one set of build flags), is
usually sufficient for this kind of switch.

Arguably, in Fedora the average packager can not afford it either – he
relies 100% on the default compiler flags defined by the gcc team. And
the gcc team can afford to look at those closely only because of the
mass effect of a whole distribution codebase that is fully built using
the same compiler and flags everywhere.

“Upstream knows better” – for upstream’s own code sure, but for
everything else (legalities, the tird party code they depend on, build
systems and automation) certainly not.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot