Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 4:32 PM Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, recent articles on LWN mention a spike in interest to hibernation¹, so I'd expect hibernation to get improved.

It's a start. They may also want to pick up the encrypted+signed work,
but for different reasons. In the cloud case, they intentionally want
to resume to a VM that is not the same as the origin.

> And I'm not sure it's fair to rule out hibernation forever because of existing problems on some hw setups. Windows 10 has by default a thing called "fast startup" which is AFAIK simply hibernation. If that works for them, I guess we can make it too?

My research suggests they have similar problems with ACPI bugs related
to S4; what I don't know is if they have make/model specific work
arounds that improve the reliability. Also, they are more focused on
S0 low power idle, i.e. Modern Standby. Far fewer bugs. There is some
work happening in this area in the linux kernel.

--
Chris Murphy