Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 4:35 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel(a)lists.fedoraproject.org&gt; wrote:
>
> Already discussed in the 'support hibernation' thread.
>
> Most laptops today have UEFI Secure Boot enabled by default and
> therefore hibernation isn't possible. And even when the laptop doesn't
> have Secure Boot enabled, there's a forest of bugs. It works for some
> people and not others. It was working for me on one laptop in
> February, consistently doesn't work now and I haven't gotten a reply
> yet from upstream about the problem.
>

> I am a fan of zswap too, but it needs deconfliction logic with
> swap-on-zram. The generator would need to come after the
> fstab-generator, so that it could know if there is a swap-on-drive
> partition. From that it could do swap-on-zram if there is no
> swap-on-drive. And setup zswap if there is (instead of two swap
> devices). The kernel has support for 32 swap devices, since almost
> forever.
>
> I've done enough testing with zswap in all the same conditions I've
> used zram, that I'm confident this can be implemented with this
> feature in the F33 time frame. But someone needs to help out with the
> zram-generator code to teach it how to use zswap. There is a sysfs
> interface to do it so that's pretty straightforward and I think that's
> how zram-generator does things now for zram, it's not yet using
> zramctl for setup.
>
> I can plan to have supplementary tests for zswap on the test day.
> Hypothetically zswap is a bit smarter because of the LRU basis it uses
> to decide what to toss out of the memory cache to the swap-on-drive.
> Whereas two swaps where /dev/zram0 has higher priority, gets favored
> until it's full, then uses /dev/swapondrive. But in my testing I
> haven't been able to prove zswap is better.

Well, recent articles on LWN mention a spike in interest to hibernation¹, so I'd expect hibernation to get improved.

And I'm not sure it's fair to rule out hibernation forever because of existing problems on some hw setups. Windows 10 has by default a thing called "fast startup" which is AFAIK simply hibernation. If that works for them, I guess we can make it too?

1: https://lwn.net/Articles/821158/